[jp] Cannot delete/home/bob/.jpilot/Backup/Archive_2003-xx-xxfiles

Ludovic Rousseau ludovic.rousseau at free.fr
Wed Mar 26 12:53:41 EST 2003

Le lundi 24 mars 2003 à 08:05:19, David A. Desrosiers a écrit:
> > No. The -R option in chown means recursion. Recursion appplied to a
> > directory means that the command will act on the directory and on
> > EVERYTHING (regardless of its name) that is BELOW (never above) it.
>
> 	. and .. are "below" the current directory, yet represent the cwd
> and the parent, so you recurse into the parent. It does happen, try it.

I just tried (but not as root of course) and I have (with your example):
$ pwd
/tmp/foo/bar/blort
$ echo .*
. .. .bar .foo
$ chown root.root -R .*
chown: changing ownership of `.': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `./.foo': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `./.bar': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `..': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `../blort': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `../blort/.foo': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `../blort/.bar': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `.bar': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `.foo': Operation not permitted
$

You can see the recursion on . and .. and the recursion does not go
farther than .. (normal).

I would be surprised to have a -R option if it was equivalent to : apply
to the complete hierarchy (and not just part of it).

But we are already off-topic since a few mails.

 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau                        Ludovic.Rousseau at free.fr
 -- Normaliser Unix c'est comme pasteuriser le camembert, L.R. --