[jp] Undeletable files

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Mon Mar 24 13:36:02 EST 2003

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 17:54:41 GMT
John Pettigrew <john at headstrong-games.co.uk> wrote:

> I have some files that I cannot delete, even as root.
>
> They started their life as part of my Palm device's backups, being
> created by the JPilot backup plugin. However, after a Palm crash
> during a sync, I was left with a "cannot delete ... files, please
> delete manually" error. When trying, I get permission denied to do an
> ls -la on these directories as root, and my filer shows the owner and
> group as -1, and the permissions for each file as "---,---,---/---",
> which I suspect results from the same error. Most of the files were
> deleted OK, but there are about 6 left in each directory that I can't
> get rid of.
I suggest that you try to change the owner and the permissions.
I also suggest that you unmount the directory where the files are
located and run fsck on it. Do not run fsck on a mounted file system.
In the past, when Unix was unstable, I used to get the inodes of any
files I could not rm in the normal manner and use the inode to delete
the file, but it has been so long, I forgot how I did that (and it was
Unix and not Linux).

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group