[jp] Cannotdelete/home/bob/.jpilot/Backup/Archive_2003-xx-xxfiles

Bob Collins bcollins at fpcc.net
Sun Mar 23 21:58:01 EST 2003

"David A. Desrosiers" wrote:

> > I also reinstalled jpilot.
>
> > If you come up with anything I would be happy to hear from you.
>
>         I'm curious, what are the permissions on / ?
[snip]

Midnight Commander (mc) shows / as root root 40755.

I have been unable to find out much about riserFS from my SuSE 8.1
documentation.  I do know that, using a journal to keep track of recent
metadata changes a file system check takes a matter of seconds, even for
huge file systems.  I am not sure what metadata is, but I know if your
are running kmail and it crashes some of your e-mail files are doubled
and you must decide which ones you want to keep.  Usually this amounted
to having an unread copy added because I had read a  e-mail recently.
This happened instantaneously and often.  I stopped using kmail and I
haven't had anything else crash.

There is nothing similar to e2fsck that runs after x number of reboots.

ReiserFS' drawback is stated as ". . pays great care to metadata but not
to the data itself."

So there you have it.  The appeal to me was that you don't have to have
e2fsck run on what are now quite large hard disks periodically.

I will post what I find out about ReiserFS and also what fixed the
problem if I am able to do that.

Thanks.

Bob