[jp] plugins

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Fri Mar 7 07:52:52 EST 2003

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 07:34:32PM -0800, Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> On 07 Mar 2003 16:23:54 +1300
> brenda <brenda at wallace.net.nz> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 16:22, Rodney D. Myers wrote:

> > > Simple answer. You can't.
> > >
> > > Not so simple answer. The plugins need to be compiled into jpilot.

That's not true at all, and would defeat the entire purpose of plugins.

> > that's strange
> > i copied my plugins from /usr/local/.... to /usr/...
> > and now they all work in jpilot.
> >
> > was that a bad idea?

It looks like you compiled J-Pilot from source, using the default prefix
of /usr/local.  This means that J-Pilot will look for system-wide
plugins in /usr/local/lib/jpilot/plugins.  Package versions of J-Pilot
(and plugins) are configured with a prefix of /usr.  If you install
J-Pilot from an RPM or another package, it will install into /usr, and
look for plugins in /usr/lib/jpilot/plugins.  Likewise, if you install
plugins from an RPM, they will go into /usr/lib/jpilot/plugins, but if
you build them from source, by default they go into
/usr/local/lib/jpilot/plugins (but this can be changed with the --prefix
configure switch).  Also, no matter how J-Pilot is installed, it will
also look for locally-installed plugins in the user's ~/.jpilot/plugins
directory (unless, of course, you built J-Pilot without plugin support).

> Normally, once you install jpilot, in my experience, you cannot add
> plugins after the fact.

Again, this is incorrect.  The entire purpose of plugins is to add
functionality to J-Pilot without having to rebuild it.

You just have to be a little careful.  Common mistakes are using plugins
that were built against a different version of pilot-link, and having more
than one version of pilot-link and/or J-Pilot installed.

HTH,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9