[jp] Re: mail plugin using mail folder for in and out mails

Carlo Graziani carlo at oddjob.uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 6 15:45:59 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 14:25, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
> Le jeudi 06 mars 2003 à 13:19:02, Carlo Graziani a écrit:
> > Off the top of my head, without having investigated the value of the
> > idea:  how about procmail/formail?
>
> Same player try again :-)
>
> formail uses stdin or a mailbox as input and a mailbox as output.
> procmail can redirect mails but using sendmail as default mail
> forwarder. And I don't want to ask users to install sendmail.

Hm, from the 'procmailrc' man page:

------------------------------------

Environment variable defaults

 <snip>

   SENDMAIL              /usr/sbin/sendmail

   SENDMAILFLAGS         -oi

 <snip>

Environment

 <snip>

   SENDMAIL    If  you're  not  using  the forwarding facility don't worry
               about this one.  It specifies the program being  called  to
               forward any mail.
               It gets invoked as: "$SENDMAIL" $SENDMAILFLAGS "$@";

------------------------------------

So, it seems to me that if you have a reasonably high tolerance for using
other peoples' software in ways they probably didn't envision, you can
customize $SENDMAIL and $SENDMAILFLAGS in the procmailrc file to invoke the
MTA of your choice with your favorite command-line flags.

Cheers,
Carlo

--
Carlo Graziani                                 (773) 702-7973 (Voice)
Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics       (773) 702-6645 (FAX)
University of Chicago                        carlo at oddjob.uchicago.edu
5640 South Ellis Avenue
Chicago, IL 60637            Time flies when you're in a frenzied panic.