[jp] New "Web" menu in 0.99.5. Why?

Paul Gear paul at gear.dyndns.org
Sun Mar 2 05:50:23 EST 2003

Joe Klemmer wrote:

><Off Topic Side Comment>
>
>On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 17:57, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
>

>>My real concern is that under Debian the correct way to start a X
>>terminal emulator is to use x-terminal-emulator
>>(/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator which is a alternative for many X
>>terminal emulators) and not directly xterm. You may have a system
>>without xterm but with gnome-terminal for example.
>>

>	Huh?!?  This is like saying there might be a system without a Bourne
>shell.  Or without vi.  Any *NIX system that doesn't have a real, old,
>ordinary xterm (other than specialized non-server|desktop|workstation
>OS) is as useless a one legged man in a butt kicking contest.  If an app
>is to be portable it needs to default to using xterm.  If the OS doesn't
>want to use a real xterm then it's the OS responsibility to be able to
>handle calls to xterm.

Important concept: user interface guidlines.

The most significant part of that message (to my mind) was "under Debian
the correct way to start a X terminal emulator is ...".  They don't want
people choosing gnome-terminal as their standard terminal, and then
finding miscellaneous applications still using another.

You can't say that it's the OS's responsiblity to handle calls to xterm
- Debian has decided on a method (presumably after some thought), and
who are we to tell them they're wrong?

Paul