[jp] New "Web" menu in 0.99.5. Why?

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sat Mar 1 21:11:48 EST 2003

<Off Topic Side Comment>

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 17:57, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:

> My real concern is that under Debian the correct way to start a X
> terminal emulator is to use x-terminal-emulator
> (/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator which is a alternative for many X
> terminal emulators) and not directly xterm. You may have a system
> without xterm but with gnome-terminal for example.

	Huh?!?  This is like saying there might be a system without a Bourne
shell.  Or without vi.  Any *NIX system that doesn't have a real, old,
ordinary xterm (other than specialized non-server|desktop|workstation
OS) is as useless a one legged man in a butt kicking contest.  If an app
is to be portable it needs to default to using xterm.  If the OS doesn't
want to use a real xterm then it's the OS responsibility to be able to
handle calls to xterm.

--
Farewell neighbor.  Thank you for giving us a safe place for so many
years.