[jp] Plugin namespaces...

Gerard W. Patterson gerry.patterson at computalog.com
Wed Mar 19 12:26:47 EST 2003

Hello,

   I started writing a plug-in to syncronize entries between my Palm
   Address database and cell-phone.  I am aware there are already
   a few utilities that do this but none seem to have the integration
   into Jpilot that I was looking for.  I am very new to the gtk library
   and building shared libraries in general.  Quite a learning
   experience...

   My question is this:

   I had a function called make_category_menu().  This appeared to collide
   with a function already declared in the main application.  Jpilot
   kept crashing until I changed the name or declared it static.  This I
   can understand.  However, is the name-space of all of the loaded
   plug-ins shared?  Do I have to ensure that every function I declare
   (and don't make static) is different from every other function in
   every other plug-in?  Or just the main app?

   I didn't want to declare these functions static as eventually I want
   to move this function to a separate .c file as the library grows.

   Sorry, this sounds like a generic C question but I couldn't find
   anything in the comp.lang.c forum that described this.  I was
   wondering if the plug-in loader in Jpilot had some form of mangler...

   Platform: Linux
   Distro:   Debian/Sid
   Jpilot:   0.99.5

 Gerry