[jp] Palm PPP How-to

bob.snyder bob.snyder at cox.net
Sun Jun 8 20:51:24 EDT 2003

Atul,

I have updated to your version 1.1 and it works fine.

A couple of notes. I don't need NAT since I'm behind a firewall/NAT box
already. I commented out the three modprobe lines and the three iptables
lines. This just prevents the error messages since I don't have packet
filtering enabled in my kernel.

Although everything seems to be working okay (i.e. DNS on the Palm,
telnet to remote hosts on the internet, etc.) I have had trouble using
PocketLink. Although it initially works (i.e. I can get a Web page or
two), the network will lock up sooner or later and with it the Palm.
Only a reset will fix it :-( I also tried Tapliner and had the same
problem.

ptelnet works okay. It is apparently a newer commercial version of the
older free ptelnet ver 0.6 that I have used before. The ssh2 is nice
however.

All these apps are basically 160x160. The 'small' fonts in ptelnet just
double up all the pixels. This is a bit of a disappointment. They would
be so much better if they could utilize the hi-res screens. I guess I've
gotten spoiled with the hi-res version of plucker.

Also, it seems like adding buttons to jpilot to bring up the ppp link is
of only limited utility since you still have to go into
preferences->network to bring it up on the Palm side.

The pizza was yummy :-)

Bob S.