[jp] Palm PPP How-to

David A. Desrosiers hacker at gnu-designs.com
Sun Jun 8 19:13:37 EDT 2003

> Hmmm, given the capabilities of the Plucker PalmOS client, I wonder what
> one can do to motivate the developers to take that one extra step of
> adding online page fetch capabilities as well.... ;-)

	I can guarantee that will never happen, not from the core team.

	The problem is that Plucker was intentionally designed to be a
client-driven offline solution, which allows disconnected operation (i.e.
you can fetch and gather content, even on a headless box, without having to
have a Palm, cradle your Palm device, or hit HotSync). Plucker also is used
to read "ebooks", which aren't normally viewed online, so that could
potentially cut out a big piece of the market of Plucker users.

	Adding the ability to view pages "online", through Plucker, would
require that the entire desktop parser (currently in Perl, Python or Java
flavors), be redesigned as a Palm-side application, which understands
colors, tables, images, fonts, etc. as well as contains support for all of
the different devices and screen types. You also have to add all of the
necessary NetLib code, error trapping, and the resident PalmOS-specific code
to manage and maintain those connections.

	To do so would make the size of the application MUCH larger than it
is now, and it would also require quite a lot more free space on the device
itself, to pull down "full" images, convert them, compress them, and view
them.

	In short, a complete rewrite of Plucker, ground-up.

d.