[jp] Rudimentary plucker plugin available

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jun 7 22:45:56 EDT 2003

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 11:31:18PM +0200, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
> Suggestions:
> 1. use plugin_pre_sync_pre_connect() instead of plugin_pre_sync() as Judd
>   just included this in CVS

Maybe I'm missing something, but I really don't see the point of this.
In order for this to work correctly, you would have to press the Sync
button on J-Pilot, wait for all the plugin_pre_sync_pre_connect() calls
to finish, then press the sync button on the cradle.  You can't initiate
a connection between the palm and the desktop before this, because the
connection will likely timeout.  I think it's much cleaner to just click
the "Run Distiller" button.

Also, I've patched J-Pilot so that it automagically starts a sync when I
press the sync button on the cradle.  This means that my palm will be
connected even before the plugin_pre_sync_pre_connect() functions are
called.  And you can't call pi_watchdog from the
plugin_pre_sync_pre_connect() function, because you don't have a socket
descriptor.  The way it is now, pi_watchdog is called before the
distiller is run, so the palm connection won't timeout.

Having said that, I can make this a configure option, though.

> 2. remove the .pdb files in plugin_post_sync() or allow to start another
>   script to do this (and maybe other things)

I was planning to put a "remove local file after installation" checkbox
on the gui, but just didn't get around to it.

Also on the todo list is to first retrieve the db info from the palm for
each file to be installed, and only install it if the mode time for the
local file is newer than on the palm.

> 3. add a button to start a file selector and select the "distiller
>   command" and a button for the "install from" directory

Good idea, and thanks for the patch!

> 4. this is no plucker specific (except the .pdb auto installation part)
>   so maybe jpilot-script is a better name (especially if you have both
>   pre and post script execution)

Yes, I thought about this too.  But I wanted this to be
plucker-specific, and possibly include plucker-desktop-like
functionality one day.

I could certainly make a more generic jpilot-script plugin, though, if
people are interested.

> I did suggestions 1 and 3 (patch included).

Thanks again!

> Maybe suggestion 2 is not a good idea.

I think as long as you leave it up to the user whether to enable it or
not, it's OK.  I'll try and release version 0.02 soon.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9