[jp] Network sync?

Nicholas Piper nick-moongroup at nickpiper.co.uk
Sun Jun 1 15:17:34 EDT 2003

Atul,

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003, Atul Chitnis wrote:

> OK, now I have it set to "net:", and jpilot isn't bombing out on me. For
> now, I have to go via the painful route of setting hotsync, as follows:
>
> Modem Sync Prefs: 	Network
> LANsync Prefs: 		LANSync
> Primary PC Setup: 	Primary PC Name = wookie.exocore.com
> 			Primary PC Address = 192.168.99.1
> 			Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0

That hostname doesn't resolve to that IP for me (if it does in your
DNS, that's ok, so long as your palm is using your DNS).

> OK, now I hit modem sync on the palm, and it shows that it is trying to
> get somewhere (Top line says "Network Hotsync 4.0"), and kick off jpilot's
> sync process. No joy. Jpilot just sits there doing nothing, and the
> hotsync times out at the Palm end.

Use ethereal to watch the packets on the ppp0 (or 1, etc.) interface.

Also, jpilot could be listening on the wrong interface. You can do
net:192.168.99.1 IIRC to it listen on a particular one.

> What does the pppd hack do to improve performance over USB? I use
> ppp-2.4.2_cvs_20021120 to be able to do mschap2 with pptp vpns to some
> client sites, though that is rare, and I can always revert back to RHL9's
> shipped pppd for now, and I just checked to make sure that I have the
> source rpm here as well, so applying a patch would be no major issue.

It's not really a performance improvement, it's just a one-liner hack
to 'fix' this problem:
 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ppp&m=105389336517645&w=2

  Nick

--
Part 3 MEng Cybernetics; Reading, UK       http://www.nickpiper.co.uk/
GPG Encrypted mail welcome!                             1024D/3ED8B27F