[jp] Syncing m130 and Visor DeLuxe via USB

Garry Knight garryknight at gmx.net
Fri Feb 7 18:57:23 EST 2003

Hi

I'm new to the group and I've been working my way through the old posts.
Something I read in the November batch got me thinking about my setup.

Most of the time I have my Palm m130 plugged into one of my two USB ports
and my CDR/W or scanner plugged into the other. But occasionally I have my
m130 in one and my Visor in the other. I have two scripts, each of which
sets $JPILOT_HOME to the relevant directory and runs /usr/bin/jpilot.

I also have two device files set up: /dev/m130 and /dev/visor:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root  root   12 Feb  2 18:46 /dev/m130 -> /dev/ttyUSB0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root  root   12 Feb  2 18:41 /dev/visor -> /dev/ttyUSB1

The jpilot.rc file in each directory is set up to use the correct device. I
can sync and backup both machines, one after the other, using JPilot. There
was a short sequence of mail back in November regarding someone being
unable to sync, and part of the discussion revolved around whether she
should use /dev/ttyUSB1 or /dev/ttyUSB0. I'm now wondering whether I'm
risking corrupting my data with my current setup, one machine syncing on
each USB device. My confusion is compounded when I see messages like this
in dmesg:

usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
usbserial.c: Palm 4.0 converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for
devfs)
usbserial.c: Palm 4.0 converter now attached to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for
devfs)

It looks like each handheld is connecting to *both* devices.

--
Garry Knight
garryknight at gmx.net  ICQ 126351135