[jp] Samsung I-500 Phone/pda

Ron Joffe rjoffe at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 30 14:42:12 EST 2003

On Tuesday 30 December 2003 08:46, I wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> Has anyone tried syncing with a Samsung I500 phone/palm ?
>
> I will post my results later when I get a chance to try it myself.
>
> Ron

OK, I've tried it myself. The first time I tried to sync it gave me the error
message about missing a pilot name. The example has something like :
install-user -p /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 "name" 12345
but what worked was:
install-user -p /dev/usb/ttyUSB1 -i 12345

So I got past that point, and tried a sync. The palm device did not have any
data, and the jpilot db's had quite a few. I had been using jpilot as a
contact book without a pilot for a few years.

It worked first time like a charm, But then (Isn't there always a but
then,,,,) when the sync was done jpilot crashed.

The output I saw was :
jpilot: jpilot_logf deprecated, use jp_logf instead.
Couldn't read Mail preferences

When I brought up jpilot again it was empty (i.e. no addresses, memos, etc),
but the palm device was full. I tried a sync again, and again it crashed.

This jpilot was installed with SuSE 9.0, the version info is:

jpilot -v

J-Pilot version 0.99.6
 Copyright (C) 1999-2002 by Judd Montgomery
 judd at jpilot.org, http://jpilot.org
J-Pilot comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details see the file
COPYING included with the source code, or in /usr/docs/jpilot/.

the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License.

Date compiled Oct 13 2003 12:53:17
Compiled with these options:
 Installed Path - /usr
 pilot-link version - 0.11.8
 USB support - yes
 Private record support - yes
 Datebk support - yes
 Plugin support - yes
 Manana support - yes
 NLS support (foreign languages) - yes
 GTK2 support - no

Any ideas as to why it crashed? Why is my jpilot db's empty?

Thanks,

Ron