[jp] T2 or T3?

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Mon Dec 8 15:59:26 EST 2003

* Marc Ozon (palm at spamfilter1.ozonation.org) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering getting a new Palm, and have narrowed my choices to the
> Tungsten T2 and T3.  Having done some surfing through reviews and comments,
> and taken a look at the devices, I think I've got a good grasp of the
> differences in specs, and the main pros and cons of each.  But, I'm a Linux
> user, and want to use the thing easily with my Linux machines.  The T2 seems
> like it won't have any problems (with a recent kernel and the latest
> pilot-link, at least), and should sync fine with jpilot.
>
> My questions, then, are about the T3.  From the thread on this list last
> month about T3 support, I gather that the new default apps are backwards-
> compatible with the older databases, and that there's work being done to get
> full support for the T3 (and, since it also has the updated apps, the E).
> I'm still wondering, though, can the T3 sync with the existing jpilot?  If
> so, are there any problems, given the new apps and database formats?  For
> example, are the new fields in the new database format just ignored by
> jpilot?  On the other hand, if it can't sync yet, can anyone offer an
> updated status report?  Sorry if this has been covered here or elsewhere
> before, but I don't remember seeing it here and couldn't find it in the list
> archives; time spent Googling didn't turn up any detailed info, either.
>
> I did find a report by someone using an E with gnome-pilot
> (http://cpbotha.net/weblogs/cpbotha/archives/000929.html).  I've also seen a
> page (http://www.thehaus.net/AltOS/PalmOS/rev-tungstene.shtml) that implies
> that the author could sync an E with jpilot, but without details.  This
> could mean just that things work fine, but I guess I need to see that stated
> explicitly.  :)
>
> Right now, I'm inclined to think the T2 might be a better bet for me, since
> it uses the older apps, but the bigger screen and more RAM of the T3 are
> enticing, especially given the relatively small difference in cost between
> the two units ($100 or less here in Toronto).

I received my T3 about a week ago, and I have no problem syncing it
using jpilot, and installing software. I have even been able to make
bluetooth work enough to surf. Migrating data from my 3 years old Visor
Deluxe was a breeze as well.

The only thing I have not figured out how to do is how to transfer non
prc or pdb files to the palm (for instance how to transfer mp3s). I
guess that I'll have to wait until VFS support is implemented in
pilot-link, or use a card reader. (I tried transfering the files to RAM
and moving them to the card using Filez, but it seems that it's
impossible to transfer these files to RAM as well).

Hope this helps,

Alan Schmitt

--
The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.
.O.