Sync problems

Gwen Patton ardrhi at voicenet.com
Fri May 17 20:37:51 EDT 2002

Jeff Vian wrote:
> I am running RedHat 7.2, with the included jpilot 0.99
> I am just trying to get started, and as yet am unable to get my Palm
> Pilot V to sync.

Check your permissions on the /dev/ttyS0 device.  Make sure your user
has the rights to read and write to that device.  When you
upgraded/installed RH 7.2, it does NOT assume any user other than root
to have rwx rights on serial ports.  This will come up as a -10 error in
jpilot, and a "Permission Denied" error using the pilot-link tools, and
in the console window immediately after hitting "sync" or "backup" if
you ran jpilot from a TTY console instead of from a menu button.

I just ran into this error myself about a week ago.  If you chmod your
/dev/ttyS0 device to the appropriate permissions, it should solve the
problem. The appropriate level will have to be determined by the
potential multiuser exposure of your machine...if you make it ugo+rwx,
it will be usable by ANYBODY, and you don't necessarily want that on a
machine others can at.  Some have suggested setting up your login to
automatically set the permissions when you log in and unset them when
you log out, things like that.  YMMV.

--- Gwen