pi-bind...sorry if this is a repeat

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Wed May 8 23:06:09 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 20:15, MJ Ray wrote:

> > chmod a+rw /dev/ttyS0
>
> That allows anyone to read and write the serial device.  Please don't ever
> do that on a multi-user machine as it can get very messy.  Normally, the
> ttyS0 device will be owned by a group such as "serial" and you should edit
> /etc/group (maybe with "vigr") to add users who may sync to that group.

	I agree that in a multi-user environment this wouldn't be a good idea
but if you're syncing a PDA with the system it's very unlikely that
system is being used for anything other than as a workstation or
desktop.

	Then again, with the great number of non-UNIX knowledgeable users
coming to the Software Libre OSs...  Oh, it makes my head hurt.

--
Using Linux since 11/91		|		http://www.linux.org
Linux user #29402		|		http://counter.li.org