need help syncing Jpilot to Handspring Visor

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jul 25 13:12:30 EDT 2002

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Tom at Home wrote:

> I'd be very appreciative if someone would talk me through a syncing problem
> using JPilot with SUSE 8.0. I had been using JPilot quite successfully with
> Mandrake 8.1, but now that  I've switched to SUSE, I can't get my Handspring
> Visor to sync.

> JPilot launches O.K., but when I click on the sync button and then push the
> Visor cradle button, I get a beep from the CPU, but nothing happens.  Same if
> I push the cradle button first and then click the sync button in the window.
> I used to have trouble syncing occasionally with the Mandrake 8.1, but found
> that resetting the Visor would do the trick.  Resetting the Visor doesn't
> help now either.

Tom,

  Two things. First, regarding the library: you can make a softlink to the
alias pilot-link wants and it works just fine. Second, have you defined
/dev/pilot? I'll bet that's what you lost when you switched distributions.

  You probably have your Visor connected to /dev/ttyS0. So, as root, cd to
/dev then type
		ln -s /dev/pilot /dev/ttyS0
This makes a soft link to /dev/ttyS0 that's called /dev/pilot.

  Also, in ~/.bash_profile put the following:

# For PalmPilot/pilot-link:

PILOTPORT=/dev/ttyS0;  export PILOTPORT
PILOTRATE=19200;  export PILOTRATE

  Change them to suit your situation.