need help syncing Jpilot to Handspring Visor

Tom at Home tcdavis at dol.net
Thu Jul 25 08:33:32 EDT 2002

I'd be very appreciative if someone would talk me through a syncing problem
using JPilot with SUSE 8.0. I had been using JPilot quite successfully with
Mandrake 8.1, but now that  I've switched to SUSE, I can't get my Handspring
Visor to sync.

My Handspring software is 3Com, version 3.0.1.  On my Linux box I'm presently
running:
JPilot 0.99-266
pilot-link 0.9.3

JPilot launches O.K., but when I click on the sync button and then push the
Visor cradle button, I get a beep from the CPU, but nothing happens.  Same if
I push the cradle button first and then click the sync button in the window.
I used to have trouble syncing occasionally with the Mandrake 8.1, but found
that resetting the Visor would do the trick.  Resetting the Visor doesn't
help now either.

I tried installing the newer version of JPilot (0.99.2-1) via a Slackware RPM,
but couldn't, because I can't find a file it depends on:  libcrypto.so.0.
So, I've decided to try to make the JPilot 0.99-266 work.

Could someone talk me through this?  I'm a newbie, so if you give me command
line help, please make it very explicit and assume no prior knowledge.

Thanks in advance,
Tom